6.24.2011

a china cabinet redo

When we moved into our townhouse last year I started looking for something to hold all of my china and dish sets. I knew I needed something large that had more display shelves then storage so when I found this cabinet for $70.00 on craigslist I knew it was meant to be! I did not get any before pictures of the china cabinet {I feel like that has been the story of my life recently, sorry!} but if you google 1970's china cabinet you will get an idea of what I had to work with. 

I removed the cabinet doors and switched out the glass shelves for woods ones {Home Depot cut the wood down to size for me and then I painted the shelves the same color as the cabinet}. It sat like this for a few months but I felt like it needed something more. My first thought was to put wallpaper or even wrapping paper up as the background but with the stencil in the dining room I was afraid that would be to much pattern since the rooms are open to one another.
I have always loved my pillows made out of fabric from Ballard Design and since one of the pillows sits right in front of the cabinet I wanted to use one of those colors for the back of the cabinet. I selected the dark grey/brown which is the background color in the fabric and my ironstone collection really stands out now.
The tureen below is one of my favorite ironstone pieces. It is in perfect condition which is hard to find. I think I got it at Lucketts a few years ago.
The below is another favorite of mine and I think it is a toothbrush holder. I could be wrong so if you know what it is I would love to know for sure! I got this piece at the Big Flea with my mother in law two years ago. If you are in the Northern Virginia area and love antiques I would highly recommend going to the Big Flea. It never disappoints!
The stamps located on the bottom of the china pieces show that they are authentic. I love all of the different patterns that the companies have.
Well I am off to sew some new curtains for my living room. The only other curtains I have sewed were for Will's room so I am a little nervous! Wish me luck! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love these ideas! I have small collection of milk glass that I want to display somehow. This is giving me some ideas :)

    Have a great weekend friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The china cabinet looks fantastic! Thanks for recommending Big Flea. I love antiques and live in Northern VA so I can't wait to check it out. Good luck with the curtains :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...